The development of the cultural landscape around Wermsdorf and the castles of Wermsdorf is closely linked to the royal hunt: The Forest of Wermsdorf was one of the traditional hunting grounds of the Saxon rulers, the Wettin dynasty. The main trees growing in the mixed deciduous forests back then were beech, oak, birch, spruce and alder in the riparian zones. This is the natural climax forest community since the ice age. Initially a hunting lodge was built in the village at the end of the 16th century. At the beginning of the 17th century a hunting mansion, the Alte Jagdschloss was built opposite the lodge. However this Renaissance house with gardens soon did not meet the needs of Elector Friedrich August II. When he married the imperial daughter Maria Josepha of the Hapsburg dynasty, his father, King August “the strong“ commissioned the construction of the Hunting Palace Hubertusburg on a hill from 1721 onwards – a gigantic baroque building in the French style. Taking into account the conversions overlooked by senior master builder Johann Christoph Knöffel from 1743 onwards this complex is considered to be one of the largest and architecturally important palaces in Europe.
The royal family were not only served exquisite meat but also farm-raised fish, especially trout and carp. The oldest ponds around Wermsdorf are already about 500 years old and have been farmed since then. Today, the forest and pond landscape of Wermsdorf is a popular hiking and tourist destination. Just one more example of the high recreational value of the cultural landscape Geopark Porphyry Land.