The Beucha granite porphyry – according to the composition of the rocks a micro-syenogranite – has largely become known as an ashlar through the construction of the Monument to the Battle of the Nations in Leipzig. The monument was dedicated in 1913 on the occasion of the centennial of the decisive battle in the Wars of Liberation against Napoleonic France.
Beucha granite porphyry has already been used as a building material (ashlar) since the 15th century. In the 19th century its mining was intensified through the use of industrial methods. Along with the Kirchbruch (“church quarry”), numerous other quarries such as the Tollert quarry, the Sorge quarry and the local Hausbruch quarry in Leipzig arose in and around Beucha. In Leipzig the granite porphyry was for example used in building the main railway station, the German Library and the Old Town Hall. The history of the quarry sites can be followed on the circular path “7-Brüche-Wanderweg”.
The now approximately 80 metres high elevation called Kirchberg has existed for almost 35 million years. During the glacial period it was “polished” to its present sheepback shape. Quarries later “gnawed” away at it. The intensive quarrying in the area of the church, a Romanesque choir tower church known as the Beucha mountain church, gave the building its exposed position on the spur. The quarry was abandoned at the end of the 1950s. Today the church quarry has been flooded and is being used as a local recreation area.